Two dead, 11 sick in mushroom poisoning

At least two persons died on Sunday and 11 others fell sick after consuming poisonous mushroom in Upper Assam`s Lakhimpur district, officials said.

Last Updated: Apr 03, 2011, 18:17 PM IST

Lakhimpur: At least two persons died on Sunday and 11 others fell sick after consuming poisonous mushroom in Upper Assam`s Lakhimpur district, officials said.

Celebrating a religious occasion people from a tribal community consumed the mushroom as a part of tradition at Bihpuria village.

As the mushroom turned to be poisonous two persons died on way to hospital as 11 others were admitted to the Lakhimpur civil hospital, they said.

The district administration has launched an investigation into the incident.

PTI