Two die in Assam poll violence
Kokrajhar: In the first incident of
poll-related violence on the eve of Monday`s second phase of
polling in Assam, two persons have been killed in Kokrajhar
Two supporters of minority-dominated All India
United Democratic Front (AIUDF) Giasuddin Sheikh and
Joyamuddin Sheikh were killed as they were hit by missiles
from a rampaging mob after AIUDF President Badaruddin Ajmal
failed to address a scheduled election rally, the police said.
Ajmal could not arrive as his helicopter failed to
land due to a technical snag.
Kokrajhar district is the headquarters of Bodoland
Territorial Council (BTC), run by the Bodoland People`s Party
(BPF), an ally of the ruling Congress which is pitted against
the minority population where the AIUDF has base.
Superintendent of Police P K Dutta said security has
been tightened and the entire area has been brought under
Dutta said while the district administration held
talks with the Sarphang district authorities of Bhutan for
cooperation in maintaining law and order, prohibitory orders
under section 144 CRPC have been clamped in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video