Two killed in BSF firing in Assam`s Chirang district
Guwahati: Two persons were killed today when the BSF opened fire on a group of people, who attacked Panbari Police Station in Chirang district in the violence-hit Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) area, police said.
The incident took place this morning after a boy was injured in an accidental firing by the Army during a patrol duty, BTAD IGP LR Bishnoi told PTI.
"The boy was hit in the leg. When army personnel went to the village under Panbari Police Station to take the boy to hospital, villagers did not allow them and around 200-300 people gheraoed and tried to vandalise the police station," he said.
"However, a team of BSF personnel, present at the police station, tried to stop the public but could not... And to control the situation they opened fire and two persons were killed in that," Bishnoi said.
The IGP, however, rubbished that the incident was the result of a poll-related violence at the BTAD, where recently at least 46 people were killed by terrorists.
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, another boy was injured in Kokrajhar, also in the BTAD area, by accidental firing by the banned NDFB.
"What we could gather so far from all the evidences and the boy`s version, it seems a group of NDFB militants were passing by a village in Kokrajhar. At that time, probably one of their arms misfired and a bullet hit the boy. He is out of danger now," Bishnoi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof