Two more bodies found in Karbi Anglong district; curfew relaxed
Diphu: Two more bodies, including that of a woman, were recovered on Monday from the troubled areas of Karbi Anglong district in Assam, taking the toll to eight since violence erupted there last week.
"Two more bodies were recovered from a Rengma-dominated village under the Borpathar police station. One of them is a woman," Karbi Anglong SP Mugdhajyoti Mahanta said.
Of the other body, only the skeletal remains were found and Mahanta said that a DNA test would now be done to determine its gender.
Of the eight dead so far, two were militants.
Meanwhile, curfew was relaxed in the area during daytime.
"We have decided to relax the curfew during daytime. In the morning, it was relaxed for four hours and, after a gap of around two hours, it will again be relaxed for an identical period in the afternoon," he said. Mahanta, however, added that the night curfew would continue.
As to the deployment of additional security forces, the SP said that more personnel had arrived this morning and taken up search operations in the area.
Police have arrested 10 persons so far for the violence.
Assam`s Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order), AP Rout, had yesterday held a meeting with the district administration and claimed that the situation was expected to normalise within a couple of days.
Militants of the Karbi People`s Liberation Tigers had last week attacked Rengma-dominated villages, killing four persons, three of them women.
Thereafter, in a retaliatory attack, terrorists belonging to Naga Rengma Hills Protection Force killed two KPLT militants inside a dense forest.
Around 1,000 people, mostly Rengmas, were rendered homeless after their houses were set on fire. Another 50,000 fled their homes.
Three relief camps have been set up by the district administration to shelter the displaced persons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know