Two ULFA militants, police commando, civilian killed in encounter
Tinsukia (Assam): Two ULFA militants, an Assam Police commando and a civilian were killed in an encounter between extremists and a joint team of security forces in Upper Assam`s Tinsukia district on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off about the presence of the two ULFA insurgents, troops belonging to the Army, CRPF and police cordoned off the Kordoiguri village in the district, official sources said.
The ultras, who had taken shelter in the house of Muthu Moran, opened fire at the security men and engaged in a gun battle with them for over an hour, the sources said.
In the exchange of fire, the two insurgents, the police commando and the house owner`s brother Muthu Moran were killed, they said.
The deceased commando was identified as Inspector Lohit Sonowal.
According to police, the thatched house of Puna Moran was burnt down after it caught fire due to cross-firing but the locals claimed that the security forces set it ablaze.
In retaliation, the people set two vehicles of the security forces on fire, the sources added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?