Two ULFA militants, police commando, civilian killed in encounter
Tinsukia (Assam): Two ULFA militants, an Assam Police commando and a civilian were killed in an encounter between extremists and a joint team of security forces in Upper Assam`s Tinsukia district on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off about the presence of the two ULFA insurgents, troops belonging to the Army, CRPF and police cordoned off the Kordoiguri village in the district, official sources said.
The ultras, who had taken shelter in the house of Muthu Moran, opened fire at the security men and engaged in a gun battle with them for over an hour, the sources said.
In the exchange of fire, the two insurgents, the police commando and the house owner`s brother Muthu Moran were killed, they said.
The deceased commando was identified as Inspector Lohit Sonowal.
According to police, the thatched house of Puna Moran was burnt down after it caught fire due to cross-firing but the locals claimed that the security forces set it ablaze.
In retaliation, the people set two vehicles of the security forces on fire, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city