Two ULFA militants, police commando, civilian killed in encounter
Tinsukia (Assam): Two ULFA militants, an Assam Police commando and a civilian were killed in an encounter between extremists and a joint team of security forces in Upper Assam`s Tinsukia district on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off about the presence of the two ULFA insurgents, troops belonging to the Army, CRPF and police cordoned off the Kordoiguri village in the district, official sources said.
The ultras, who had taken shelter in the house of Muthu Moran, opened fire at the security men and engaged in a gun battle with them for over an hour, the sources said.
In the exchange of fire, the two insurgents, the police commando and the house owner`s brother Muthu Moran were killed, they said.
The deceased commando was identified as Inspector Lohit Sonowal.
According to police, the thatched house of Puna Moran was burnt down after it caught fire due to cross-firing but the locals claimed that the security forces set it ablaze.
In retaliation, the people set two vehicles of the security forces on fire, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends