ULFA bandh hits life in upper Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was hit in seven upper Assam districts in the 12-hour bandh by ULFA`s anti-talk faction to protest against the recent killing of three persons in Majuli.
Shops, business establishments and educational institutions were closed and vehicular traffic remained off the road during the day which was peaceful, official sources said.
The impact of the bandh, however, fizzled out during the later part of the day as devotees performing `Chhath puja` came out in large numbers to offer prayers at water bodies and river ghats amid tight security.
The affected districts were Jorhat, Sibsagar, Golaghat, Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, Lakhimpur and Dhemaji.
The ULFA later thanked people for the success of the bandh.
The bandh was called to protest the killing of three persons on November 15 in an encounter at Majuli island claiming that they were not ULFA cadres but innocent people allegedly killed as part of pre-planned conspiracy by the Congress ahead of January panchayat polls in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata