ULFA cadre nabbed with Chinese grenade
Guwahati: A joint team of Assam Police and the Army Wednesday morning arrested one youth and recovered a Chinese grenade from his possession.
Police later claimed the youth, identified as Nabajit Baishya, was a member of the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by Paresh Baruah, who is living in exile somewhere in northern Myanmar.
"Based on a tip-off, we have carried out a search operation on a bus at Sipajhar in Darrang district Wednesday morning and arrested Nabajit Baishya. The anti-talk ULFA cadre was on his way to Tezpur from Guwahati," police said, adding that Baishya hails from Tihu in Lower Assam`s Nalbari district.
Police suspected that Baishya procured the grenade from some other cadre of the outfit and was on his way to Tezpur to carry out some subversive activities in that town.
On Saturday last, police seized 12 grenades and six detonators from a bus on the remote Indo-Bhutan border in Lower Assam`s Kokrajhar district and arrested two persons for possessing those.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa