ULFA claims missing teacher joins outfit
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of ULFA on Friday claimed woman activist, teacher and writer Majoni Das, who was missing since February 10 from Assam`s Sibsagar district, had joined the outfit.
Das had officially joined the outfit recently despite "several attempts by the police to kill her", the faction`s spokesman Arunodoy Asom claimed in a statement e-mailed to media houses here.
"We welcome Das as a member of the outfit and hope an intellectual and patriot like her will help in the cause of our organisation," he said.
The police had earlier said that Das had joined ULFA and left for Nagaland on her way to Myanmar.
Several women`s organisations along with Das`s family members, however, had demanded that police immediately disclose information about the whereabouts of the 30-year-old woman who went missing after she had allegedly gone to meet police in Sibsagar.
Das, who was a teacher of Assamese department as well as a warden of a hostel run by Purva Bharati Educational Trust in Jorhat, had come to her parents in Demow to attend a family function on February 6, spokesperson of Women in Governance Bondita Acharya had told reporters here on February 20.
Police had come to their house on February 8 to "hold some discussions" but she was not present at that moment and was directed to come to meet the SP in his office, Acharya had said.
A missing complaint was later filed by Purbanchal Educational Trust in Jorhat and family members in Demow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31