Ulfa faction calls for Assam shutdown Nov 19
Guwahati: ULFA`s anti-talk faction has called for a 12-hour dawn-to-dusk shutdown in Assam Monday to protest against the killing of three people in a staged gun-battle Nov 14.
Security forces in Majuli Island in Jorhat had Thursday killed three people and injured two during an anti-insurgency operation.
Police said one of the deceased was an Ulfa militant while the two others were civilians, who died in the cross-fire. The two injured people were also civilians, they said.
Police also said they recovered a pistol and live ammunition from the slain militant.
But the United Liberation Front of Asom (Ulfa) faction led by Paresh Baruah said all the people killed in the staged gun-battle were civilians.
"The three people killed in Majuli on Thursday were not ULFA cadre but innocent civilians," said a statement by Aranya Asom, a member of the ULFA`s publicity wing.
The statement said the Nov 19 shutdown would be in effect in Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur, Golaghat, Jorhat, Sibsagar and Tinsukia districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city