Ulfa faction calls for Assam shutdown Nov 19
Guwahati: ULFA`s anti-talk faction has called for a 12-hour dawn-to-dusk shutdown in Assam Monday to protest against the killing of three people in a staged gun-battle Nov 14.
Security forces in Majuli Island in Jorhat had Thursday killed three people and injured two during an anti-insurgency operation.
Police said one of the deceased was an Ulfa militant while the two others were civilians, who died in the cross-fire. The two injured people were also civilians, they said.
Police also said they recovered a pistol and live ammunition from the slain militant.
But the United Liberation Front of Asom (Ulfa) faction led by Paresh Baruah said all the people killed in the staged gun-battle were civilians.
"The three people killed in Majuli on Thursday were not ULFA cadre but innocent civilians," said a statement by Aranya Asom, a member of the ULFA`s publicity wing.
The statement said the Nov 19 shutdown would be in effect in Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur, Golaghat, Jorhat, Sibsagar and Tinsukia districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday