ULFA-police encounter in Majuli island
Jorhat (Assam): There was exchange of fire between ULFA militants and police at Majuli island in the early hours on Sunday but there was no casualty.
Police said the exchange of fire took place when acting on a tip off police personnel raided a hideout of the outfit at Kakh Chapori area of upper Majuli around 4 am this morning after getting information regarding presence of ULFA militants in the area.
When the police team reached the spot the militants resorted to firing from nearby woods.
The police personnel also returned fire and the encounter continued for a few minutes before the militants fled.
Three walkie talkies, mobile sets, some batteries and two bags containing items of personal use were recovered from the site.
Police are continuing search operations in the area to nab the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’