ULFA-police encounter in Majuli island
Jorhat (Assam): There was exchange of fire between ULFA militants and police at Majuli island in the early hours on Sunday but there was no casualty.
Police said the exchange of fire took place when acting on a tip off police personnel raided a hideout of the outfit at Kakh Chapori area of upper Majuli around 4 am this morning after getting information regarding presence of ULFA militants in the area.
When the police team reached the spot the militants resorted to firing from nearby woods.
The police personnel also returned fire and the encounter continued for a few minutes before the militants fled.
Three walkie talkies, mobile sets, some batteries and two bags containing items of personal use were recovered from the site.
Police are continuing search operations in the area to nab the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation