ULFA-police encounter in Majuli island
Jorhat (Assam): There was exchange of fire between ULFA militants and police at Majuli island in the early hours on Sunday but there was no casualty.
Police said the exchange of fire took place when acting on a tip off police personnel raided a hideout of the outfit at Kakh Chapori area of upper Majuli around 4 am this morning after getting information regarding presence of ULFA militants in the area.
When the police team reached the spot the militants resorted to firing from nearby woods.
The police personnel also returned fire and the encounter continued for a few minutes before the militants fled.
Three walkie talkies, mobile sets, some batteries and two bags containing items of personal use were recovered from the site.
Police are continuing search operations in the area to nab the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL