ULFA-police encounter in Majuli island
Jorhat (Assam): There was exchange of fire between ULFA militants and police at Majuli island in the early hours on Sunday but there was no casualty.
Police said the exchange of fire took place when acting on a tip off police personnel raided a hideout of the outfit at Kakh Chapori area of upper Majuli around 4 am this morning after getting information regarding presence of ULFA militants in the area.
When the police team reached the spot the militants resorted to firing from nearby woods.
The police personnel also returned fire and the encounter continued for a few minutes before the militants fled.
Three walkie talkies, mobile sets, some batteries and two bags containing items of personal use were recovered from the site.
Police are continuing search operations in the area to nab the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site