ULFA-police encounter in Majuli island
Jorhat (Assam): There was exchange of fire between ULFA militants and police at Majuli island in the early hours on Sunday but there was no casualty.
Police said the exchange of fire took place when acting on a tip off police personnel raided a hideout of the outfit at Kakh Chapori area of upper Majuli around 4 am this morning after getting information regarding presence of ULFA militants in the area.
When the police team reached the spot the militants resorted to firing from nearby woods.
The police personnel also returned fire and the encounter continued for a few minutes before the militants fled.
Three walkie talkies, mobile sets, some batteries and two bags containing items of personal use were recovered from the site.
Police are continuing search operations in the area to nab the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...