ULFA remains threat to Assam election despite restart of talks
Guwahati: The shadow of ULFA hangs on the
coming Assembly polls in Assam as it has always on all
previous elections, both parliamentary and assembly, during
the three decades of its existence.
Though a major faction of ULFA, led by its chairman
Arabinda Rajkhowa, has stated it has nothing to do with the
poll, the banned organisation still remains a threat as the
anti-talk faction of Paresh Baruah is openly opposed to the
holding of elections.
The anti-talk faction issued a threat to Congress members
and grassroot workers and followed it up with an IED attack on
Assam Pradesh Congress headquarters here, giving rise to
claims that the faction was hand in glove with opposition
parties - Asom Gana Parishad and BJP.
According to intelligence sources, the faction may carry
out attacks in the run-up to polls to prove a point and assert
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi alleged that the threat
coupled with the silence of opposition parties over it clearly
indicates there exists a `unholy` link between the parties and
a section of ULFA.
"The ULFA has adopted a partisan attitude as it is
issuing threats to the Congress alone and not to the BJP and
AGP," he pointed out.
The Paresh Baruah-led faction has warned it will resort
to an `armed struggle` against the alleged arrogant policies
of the Congress and has called upon people to stay away from
meetings organised by ministers, legislators and other party
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news