ULFA team heads for talks with govt
Guwahati: Top leaders of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa left for New Delhi Thursday to open the first formal round of talks with the central government.
The peace talks between ULFA and the union home ministry officials will begin in the Indian capital Friday amid hopes of bringing the curtains down on one of northeast India`s longest running and violent insurgencies.
"We are going to submit our charter of demands to the government during the talks and we are positive something concrete would emerge during the negotiation process," a senior ULFA leader told reporters, declining to be identified.
The government side is expected to be represented by union Home Secretary R.K. Singh, New Delhi`s chief peace interlocutor P.C. Haldar, and senior ministry officials.
"We believe the home minister (P. Chidambaram) would also make a customary appearance during the talks although he might not be taking part in the discussions directly," the rebel leader said.
ULFA, one of the biggest rebel outfits in the tea and oil-rich region of Assam, has fought for an independent homeland for ethnic Assamese since 1979.
At least 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have died in Assam because of fighting between government forces and various rebel groups.
The much-hyped talks, however, hit a major roadblock with the elusive ULFA commander-in-chief Paresh Baruah rejecting the initiative.
Baruah, said to be hiding in the Myanmar-China border area, said in an e-mail statement: "We cannot support peace talks as the ULFA leadership led by Rajkhowa is under the influence of our enemy (government)."
Another ULFA leader, fugitive Anup Chetia, who has been in detention in Bangladesh where he also completed a jail term, is in the process of being handed over to India, Bangladesh officials recently said.
At least eight top ULFA leaders who are expected to take part in Friday`s talks are out on bail, with the government facilitating their release from jail in order to pave the way for negotiations.
Apart from Rajkhowa, the other ULFA leaders who are expected to be in the talks include vice chairman Pradeep Gogoi, deputy commander-in-chief Raju Baruah, self-styled foreign secretary Sasha Choudhury, finance secretary Chitraban Hazarika, cultural secretary Pranati Deka and political ideologue Bhimkanta Buragohain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India