Undertrials` fast in Assam jail
Morigaon: Over 100 undertrial prisoners of Morigaon district jail in central Assam had been on a hunger strike for several hours Thursday protesting against alleged unhealthy atmosphere inside the jail, the police said.
The inmates alleged that they were kept in sub-human conditions and served stale food.
Refusing to take food since 6 am, the prisoners also complained that the jail lacked medical facilities, the sources said.
However, the jail authorities talked to the protestors and assured them to look into their grievances.
The inmates then withdrew the hunger strike at about one pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users