Violence continues in Assam, death toll rises to six
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called up Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Thursday evening to discuss law and order in violence hit Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts (BTAD) where one person was killed taking the toll to six since November 10.
Gogoi gave the Prime Minister, who is a Rajya Saba MP from the state, a detailed account of the situation and steps taken to control the violence, official sources told a news agency.
The Prime Minister told Gogoi that certain forces were acting in a planned manner to destabilise peace and security in the region.
Singh said the government would take all measures to curb such activities and assured the state government help in restoring peace and normalcy.
Indefinite curfew was clamped on Kokrajhar town after a person Nirisun Basumatary was shot dead at at Telipara in Kokrajhar district this morning and a trader, Abdul Kalam, injured in an attack by people armed with sharp weapons on a weekly market in Kokrajhar, official sources said.
The Chief Minister at a specially convened law and order meeting here last night directed the DGP and senior police officials to deal with the latest spurt in violence in the BTAD region with an iron hand and if required to take the help of the army and para-military forces.
Earlier, the four BTAD districts and Dhubri were affected by violence between Bodos and minorities which left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless in July-August.
The Prime Minister also talked to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and asked him to extend all possible assistance to the Assam government in tackling the situation, an official statement said.
Meanwhile, Gogoi held discussions with 4 Corps General Officer Commanding Lt Gen C A Krishnan about the steps required to restore law and order. The army officer informed Gogoi that he would visit BTAD tomorrow for first-hand assessment of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM