Violence defamed Assam internationally: Shinde
New Delhi: Promising strong action against those involved in the ongoing violence in Assam, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims have defamed the state internationally.
He said the government was committed to provide security to all sections of people living in Assam and security forces were directed to take all possible measures to protect both Bodos and Muslims.
"The violence has defamed Assam internationally," he told reporters here.
Shinde said the administration has been asked to form coordination committees locally among Bodos and Muslims to restore peace in the violence-hit areas as early as possible.
Asked about the arrest of a Bodo MLA for his alleged involvement in the violence, he said, "Whosoever is involved in the violence will be punished... All guilty will be punished."
Shinde also said that it was the responsibility of the the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD) to restore peace in the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you