Violence defamed Assam internationally: Shinde
New Delhi: Promising strong action against those involved in the ongoing violence in Assam, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims have defamed the state internationally.
He said the government was committed to provide security to all sections of people living in Assam and security forces were directed to take all possible measures to protect both Bodos and Muslims.
"The violence has defamed Assam internationally," he told reporters here.
Shinde said the administration has been asked to form coordination committees locally among Bodos and Muslims to restore peace in the violence-hit areas as early as possible.
Asked about the arrest of a Bodo MLA for his alleged involvement in the violence, he said, "Whosoever is involved in the violence will be punished... All guilty will be punished."
Shinde also said that it was the responsibility of the the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD) to restore peace in the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neeraj Chopra sets new U20 Javelin WORLD RECORD in Poland – WATCH VIDEO
- 'Dishoom' to get shield against piracy
- Maharashtra govt to transfer 933 cr lottery revenue loss case to CBI
- Donald Trump accuses Hillary Clinton for email scandal of Democratic party
- Thinking like a batsman the mantra for successful field placing: Virat Kohli