Violence during Goalpara bandh
Goalpara: Vehicles were damaged and set on fire and four persons - a police officer and three bandh supporters - were injured during the 36-hour Goalpara district shutdown in Assam Tuesday.
The bandh was called by the Coordination Committee of Non Rabhas from 5 am and its supporters clashed with the police at Khorboja, when they pelted stones at the security personnel, police said.
In the stone pelting, Kharmoja police outpost in-charge, who had rushed to control the situation, was injured in his head and admitted to Goalpara civil hospital.
Three bandh supporters were injured when police resorted to lathi charge and fired rubber bullets to quell the irate crowd, police said.
The agitators set fire to a vehicle there, besides a truck at Bhalukdubi and damaged two auto-vans at nearby Kumri, the police added.
The bandh was called to press for exclusion of non-Rabha villages from the ethnic Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council.
The Committee also demanded either amendment or striking out of certain clauses of the Rabha Act 2001 and 2005 dealing with sale and transfer of land in the tribal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?