Violence in Barak Valley, curfew imposed at Kallain
Guwahati/Karimganj: Violence broke out on Wednesday at some places in south Assam`s Barak Valley with Kallain town in Cachar district being placed under indefinite curfew after members of two communities clashed leaving 22 persons injured.
The CRPF was called in and the police used water canons to disperse the clashing groups during a 12-hour Barak Valley bandh following which the indefinite curfew was imposed, police sources said.
Clashes also broke out at Nilambazaar in Karimganj district leaving three persons injured, the sources said.
Altogether 330 persons were arrested in Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi districts, they said.
The bandh was against alleged harassment in the name of search operations to arrest those responsible for the assault on Congress MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband Jacky Zakir last Friday at a hotel in Karimganj.
Action was also demanded against Nath for bigamy as she had married Zakir without divorcing her first husband Rakesh Kumar Singh.
The assault on Nath and Zakir has, however, been condemned by many quarters.
The bandh was called by the Hindu Jagran Manch and was supported by the BJP, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Hindu Milan Manch, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha and some other outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan