Violence in Barak Valley, curfew imposed at Kallain
Guwahati/Karimganj: Violence broke out on Wednesday at some places in south Assam`s Barak Valley with Kallain town in Cachar district being placed under indefinite curfew after members of two communities clashed leaving 22 persons injured.
The CRPF was called in and the police used water canons to disperse the clashing groups during a 12-hour Barak Valley bandh following which the indefinite curfew was imposed, police sources said.
Clashes also broke out at Nilambazaar in Karimganj district leaving three persons injured, the sources said.
Altogether 330 persons were arrested in Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi districts, they said.
The bandh was against alleged harassment in the name of search operations to arrest those responsible for the assault on Congress MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband Jacky Zakir last Friday at a hotel in Karimganj.
Action was also demanded against Nath for bigamy as she had married Zakir without divorcing her first husband Rakesh Kumar Singh.
The assault on Nath and Zakir has, however, been condemned by many quarters.
The bandh was called by the Hindu Jagran Manch and was supported by the BJP, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Hindu Milan Manch, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha and some other outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!