Violence in Barak Valley over assault on MLA Rumi Nath
Karimganj/Guwahati: The assault on Congress MLA Rumi Nath sparked off violent protests and a bandh in south Assam`s Barak Valley on Sunday as police resorted to lathicharge and apprehended five persons involved in the attack.
Tension prevailed for the second day in Barak Valley over the assault of the MLA and her second husband Jacky Zakir as violence was reported from several areas.
"Five persons suspected to have been involved in the attack on the woman MLA have been arrested from here," Karimganj district Superintendent of Police Pradip Pujari said.
Supporters of Nath pelted stones and damaged two buses of the Assam State Transport Corporation in Karimganj.
Eight minority organisations, including Ahl-e-Sunnat, called for a 12-hour bandh in Hailakandi district today.
The outfits called for action against persons responsible for the assault on Nath and her husband and also demanded that government take steps to protect the minority communities.
The bandh was total and normal life in the district was disrupted, official sources said.
Meanwhile, in Srikona in Cachar district, police resorted to a mild lathi charge on supporters of Nath, who had resorted to a road blockade.
Nath, who represents Borkhola constituency in Cachar, and her second husband were beaten up and injured on Friday night in a hotel here by a group of people who were angry over her second marriage without divorcing her first husband.
The MLA and her second husband, who were escorted to Guwahati, have received medical treatment and were reported to be out of danger.
Nath has filed an FIR with the police alleging that a mob had attacked her on "political motivation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city