Violence in Barak Valley over assault on MLA Rumi Nath
Karimganj/Guwahati: The assault on Congress MLA Rumi Nath sparked off violent protests and a bandh in south Assam`s Barak Valley on Sunday as police resorted to lathicharge and apprehended five persons involved in the attack.
Tension prevailed for the second day in Barak Valley over the assault of the MLA and her second husband Jacky Zakir as violence was reported from several areas.
"Five persons suspected to have been involved in the attack on the woman MLA have been arrested from here," Karimganj district Superintendent of Police Pradip Pujari said.
Supporters of Nath pelted stones and damaged two buses of the Assam State Transport Corporation in Karimganj.
Eight minority organisations, including Ahl-e-Sunnat, called for a 12-hour bandh in Hailakandi district today.
The outfits called for action against persons responsible for the assault on Nath and her husband and also demanded that government take steps to protect the minority communities.
The bandh was total and normal life in the district was disrupted, official sources said.
Meanwhile, in Srikona in Cachar district, police resorted to a mild lathi charge on supporters of Nath, who had resorted to a road blockade.
Nath, who represents Borkhola constituency in Cachar, and her second husband were beaten up and injured on Friday night in a hotel here by a group of people who were angry over her second marriage without divorcing her first husband.
The MLA and her second husband, who were escorted to Guwahati, have received medical treatment and were reported to be out of danger.
Nath has filed an FIR with the police alleging that a mob had attacked her on "political motivation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves