Was Guwahati molestation orchestrated by reporter?
Guwahati (Assam): The Guwahati girl molestation case witnessed a twist on Saturday after RTI activist and KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi claimed that the incident was planned by an off-duty reporter of a northeastern news channel.
Gogoi claimed that the reporter planned the incident for footage and he was also part of the mob that assaulted the girl.
The activist said the raw footage of the incident, recorded by a cameraman of Newslive channel, shows the reporter sitting with the mob.
Gogoi demanded that the channel should be blacklisted and a thorough probe be conducted into the incident and the channel’s role.
Meanwhile, NDTV group editor Barkha Dutt also tweeted: “Activist Akhil Gogoi says he`s handed cops footage that shows an off duty reporter from Newslive at assault venue sitting with molesters (sic).”
“Revolting reports from ?#guwahati? that a reporter from channel that filmed sexual assault was friends with the molestors. Need the truth,” she wrote on twitter.
The development came on a day when a team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) is in the Assam capital to probe the horrific incident.
The team reportedly sought to know why police reached the incident site late after being called in. It also demanded that the guilty policemen be suspended.
The police on the other hand are hunting for the absconding accused. So far, only four of the 11 men identified from the video footage have been nabbed.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today set a 48-hour deadline for the state police to nab all the accused identified in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Nathan Lyon joins Muttiah Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh in the 200-test-wicket club
- Lawless UP: Dalit couple hacked to death for Rs 15 in Mulayam Singh Yadav's bastion Mainpuri
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror