Was Guwahati molestation orchestrated by reporter?
Guwahati (Assam): The Guwahati girl molestation case witnessed a twist on Saturday after RTI activist and KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi claimed that the incident was planned by an off-duty reporter of a northeastern news channel.
Gogoi claimed that the reporter planned the incident for footage and he was also part of the mob that assaulted the girl.
The activist said the raw footage of the incident, recorded by a cameraman of Newslive channel, shows the reporter sitting with the mob.
Gogoi demanded that the channel should be blacklisted and a thorough probe be conducted into the incident and the channel’s role.
Meanwhile, NDTV group editor Barkha Dutt also tweeted: “Activist Akhil Gogoi says he`s handed cops footage that shows an off duty reporter from Newslive at assault venue sitting with molesters (sic).”
“Revolting reports from ?#guwahati? that a reporter from channel that filmed sexual assault was friends with the molestors. Need the truth,” she wrote on twitter.
The development came on a day when a team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) is in the Assam capital to probe the horrific incident.
The team reportedly sought to know why police reached the incident site late after being called in. It also demanded that the guilty policemen be suspended.
The police on the other hand are hunting for the absconding accused. So far, only four of the 11 men identified from the video footage have been nabbed.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today set a 48-hour deadline for the state police to nab all the accused identified in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued