`We are assured our job is safe`
Guwahati: As they embark on the journey back to Bangalore on Saturday from where they fled in mid-August as largescale violence rocked Assam, the returnees, mostly factory workers, expressed confidence the scary experience won`t recur.
Twenty-nine year old Montu Saikia, who hails from Sorupathar village of upper Assam`s Golaghat district and a worker in a plastic factory in Atibali area of Bangalore, said he and six of his colleagues had fled the city and took the special train on August 15.
Before boarding the special train which left Guwahati railway station for Bangalore today, Saikia alleged they were `slapped by miscreants` on way to the station and that is why there was the sense of panic.
"Seven of us rushed into the train and slept on the floor out of panic all the way, but after the situation has calmed we have no problem in going back", Saikia said.
"Both the Assam and Karnataka governments, we hear, have assured security and our employers have said...Our jobs are intact", he said.
Saikia, who and whose colleagues purchased general class tickets of Rs 327 each, earns Rs 12,000 on a month from the factory and Rs 3000 as overtime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends