Weapons of slain Assam police officer, PSO recovered
Diphu: Huge quantities of arms and ammunition, including weapons of slain police officer Nityanand Goswami and his PSO, were recovered on Wednesday during an operation by police along the Assam-Meghalaya border.
The operation was launched in Kanduli area in Assam`s Hamren police district based on information provided by 10 United Peoples Liberation Army (UPLA) militants arrested yesterday for their alleged involvement in the killing of Goswami and his PSO Ratul Nunisa.
Hamren SP Debojit Deuri, who led the operation, told PTI the 9 mm pistol of Goswami and Nunisa`s AK-47 rifle were recovered from the area during the operation.
Besides, six AK-47 rifles, a M-16 rifle, a SBBL gun, 10 mortar cells, 21 grenades and 356 cartridges were also recovered from the area, he said.
Operations in the area would continue, Deuri added.
Ten UPLA militants, including its self-styled commander-in-chief (C-in-C) and deputy C-in-C, allegedly involved in Goswami and his PSO, were arrested yesterday.
Goswami was leading an operation on June 5 against the insurgent group in remote Rongthang forest area when they came face to face with a large group of ultras who opened fire on them killing the duo on the spot.
Operations have been stepped up in the district following the killing of the police officer and his PSO, Deuri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing