`White paper on checking illegal migration to be released`
Guwahati: Assam government would soon release a white paper on steps taken to check infiltration in the state, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Tuesday.
"We will bring out a white paper by October 1 giving details of the actions we have taken. I challenge Prafulla Kumar Mahanta (AGP chief) and NDA leaders to also publish facts regarding what they did on the issue when they were in power," he told reporters here.
"Opposition parties like Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and BJP and outfits like the All Assam Students Union are talking of another Assam Agitation to expel illegal immigrants.
"I can challenge them that my government has taken more steps to stop infiltration, detect and deport immigrants than AGP did during its 10 years in power in Dispur or what the NDA government did at the Centre," he said.
The process for updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) would be streamlined by appointing a retired judge to head a special commission to deal with the issue, he said.
Gogoi said the state government would recommend the Centre to increase the number of tribunals dealing with cases of suspected illegal immigrants.
The state government would also suggest that advocates and other legal persons who can be deemed to qualify as judges should be allowed to head such tribunals as availability of retired judges is limited.
There are currently 2.37 lakh cases pending with 36 tribunals. These are slow in deciding the case as they face problems like lack of staff and computers, he said, adding these would be dealt with.
As per latest guidelines, all cases before the tribunals have to be disposed off within 60 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon