`White paper on checking illegal migration to be released`
Guwahati: Assam government would soon release a white paper on steps taken to check infiltration in the state, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Tuesday.
"We will bring out a white paper by October 1 giving details of the actions we have taken. I challenge Prafulla Kumar Mahanta (AGP chief) and NDA leaders to also publish facts regarding what they did on the issue when they were in power," he told reporters here.
"Opposition parties like Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and BJP and outfits like the All Assam Students Union are talking of another Assam Agitation to expel illegal immigrants.
"I can challenge them that my government has taken more steps to stop infiltration, detect and deport immigrants than AGP did during its 10 years in power in Dispur or what the NDA government did at the Centre," he said.
The process for updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) would be streamlined by appointing a retired judge to head a special commission to deal with the issue, he said.
Gogoi said the state government would recommend the Centre to increase the number of tribunals dealing with cases of suspected illegal immigrants.
The state government would also suggest that advocates and other legal persons who can be deemed to qualify as judges should be allowed to head such tribunals as availability of retired judges is limited.
There are currently 2.37 lakh cases pending with 36 tribunals. These are slow in deciding the case as they face problems like lack of staff and computers, he said, adding these would be dealt with.
As per latest guidelines, all cases before the tribunals have to be disposed off within 60 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why