`White Paper` on immigration by Assam govt
Guwahati: Assam government on Saturday released a `White Paper` on immigration from neighbouring Bangladesh promising that steps would be taken to update the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC).
Releasing the `White Paper` in an official function here, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said only 2,442 illegal migrants had been detected and deported since the signing of the historic Assam Accord in 1985.
"But the problem continues and we have to take immediate steps to stop the immigration problem. We are going to be very strict and update the NRC as well as photo identity cards", Gogoi told reporters after releasing the `White Paper.`
"There are only three detention centres at Kokrajhar, Silchar and Goalpara where the suspected migrants are housed, but security around that areas have to be strengthened," Gogoi said.
"We are going to ensure that the agitation against illegal migrants is not wasted. Strict steps will be taken to ensure that the state gets rid of illegal migrants", the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!