`White Paper` on immigration by Assam govt
Guwahati: Assam government on Saturday released a `White Paper` on immigration from neighbouring Bangladesh promising that steps would be taken to update the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC).
Releasing the `White Paper` in an official function here, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said only 2,442 illegal migrants had been detected and deported since the signing of the historic Assam Accord in 1985.
"But the problem continues and we have to take immediate steps to stop the immigration problem. We are going to be very strict and update the NRC as well as photo identity cards", Gogoi told reporters after releasing the `White Paper.`
"There are only three detention centres at Kokrajhar, Silchar and Goalpara where the suspected migrants are housed, but security around that areas have to be strengthened," Gogoi said.
"We are going to ensure that the agitation against illegal migrants is not wasted. Strict steps will be taken to ensure that the state gets rid of illegal migrants", the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!