`White Paper` on immigration by Assam govt
Guwahati: Assam government on Saturday released a `White Paper` on immigration from neighbouring Bangladesh promising that steps would be taken to update the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC).
Releasing the `White Paper` in an official function here, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said only 2,442 illegal migrants had been detected and deported since the signing of the historic Assam Accord in 1985.
"But the problem continues and we have to take immediate steps to stop the immigration problem. We are going to be very strict and update the NRC as well as photo identity cards", Gogoi told reporters after releasing the `White Paper.`
"There are only three detention centres at Kokrajhar, Silchar and Goalpara where the suspected migrants are housed, but security around that areas have to be strengthened," Gogoi said.
"We are going to ensure that the agitation against illegal migrants is not wasted. Strict steps will be taken to ensure that the state gets rid of illegal migrants", the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- US envoy calls on Syria rebels to respect truce
- Bond girl? Nah, not good enough! Priyanka Chopra has bigger dreams – Details inside
- UBHL seeks time till July to file results due to Mallya cases
- 'Paa' Amitabh Bachchan liked my performance in 'Sarbjit': Aishwarya
- No fun working with Kangana if her role is small: Irrfan Khan