`White Paper` on immigration by Assam govt
Guwahati: Assam government on Saturday released a `White Paper` on immigration from neighbouring Bangladesh promising that steps would be taken to update the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC).
Releasing the `White Paper` in an official function here, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said only 2,442 illegal migrants had been detected and deported since the signing of the historic Assam Accord in 1985.
"But the problem continues and we have to take immediate steps to stop the immigration problem. We are going to be very strict and update the NRC as well as photo identity cards", Gogoi told reporters after releasing the `White Paper.`
"There are only three detention centres at Kokrajhar, Silchar and Goalpara where the suspected migrants are housed, but security around that areas have to be strengthened," Gogoi said.
"We are going to ensure that the agitation against illegal migrants is not wasted. Strict steps will be taken to ensure that the state gets rid of illegal migrants", the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- We are now talking to China eye-to-eye, raising issues of Indian interests boldly: PM Narendra Modi
- Release date of Salman Khan starrer 'Sultan' announced!
- What you need to know about dietary supplements!
- Euro 2016: Italy Vs Spain, England Vs Iceland; players to watch out for
- Govt pursuing black money very aggressively: Jayant Sinha