Woman burnt was not one who kissed Rahul Gandhi, says Assam police
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Guwahati: The police have denied that the woman, who died of burn injuries in Assam, was the one who had kissed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi during his recent two-day state visit, news reports claimed on Saturday.
A news channel quoted Superintendent of Police Amanjeet Kaur as saying that the woman who died was a Congress member, but was not present during Rahul`s meet. The SP said the investigations are on.
Kaur said the victim, Bonti Chutia, died of burn injuries, while her husband, Someswar Chutia, had also sustained 35 percent burn injuries.
"We have talked to people and came to know that although she (the victim) came to the venue Wednesday to interact with the Congress leader, she stayed outside the programme for some reasons," IANS quoted Kaur as saying.
"We also came to know from the neighbours that both the husband and wife had a strained relationship for a long time and that could be one of the reasons for the incident," she said.
In yet another conflicting report, a leading newspaper quoted Sub-Divisional Police officer Kulendra Deka as saying that the police have checked the video of Rahul`s interaction session, but the lady in question was nowhere close to the Congress vice president during the entire event. The police officer also said that no complaint has been filed, which says the husband set her wife on fire.
Earlier, separate reports had claimed that the woman, who kissed the Gandhi scion during his Assam tour, was burnt to death allegedly by her husband.
Reports said that a quarrel occurred between the couple over the kissing incident, following which the husband set his wife on fire.
The lady`s husband is also said to have suffered 40 percent burn injuries and is currently hospitalised.
It is still unclear whether the unfortunate incident is linked to the kissing incident.
Rahul Gandhi, who is touring different parts of the country in order to revive his party`s fortunes, was welcomed with kisses on his cheek and on his head during his visit to Jorhat in Assam on Wednesday.
Rahul Gandhi was interacting with a huge gathering of women, when two women came closer to him, kissed on his cheek and forehead respectively, slightly embarrassing the young Congress leader.
Despite the unprecedented but pleasant gesture, the Gandhi scion, however, sportingly met all the women supporters who came forward to shake hands with him.
Rahul met over 600 self help groups and Congress members in Jorhat and interacted with them wholeheartedly.
While interacting with the women, the Congress vice president said that women of this country can become the prime minister, chief minister. He also said that northeastern women are more talented and brave than others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- LIVE: `Congress-mukt` Maharashtra sees Shiv Sena retaining BMC, BJP leading in 7 cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway