Woman dead, 5 injured in acid attack, one held
Lakhimpur: A woman was killed and five members of her family were injured when a youth threw acid on them while they were sleeping in their house in Thakuranpurwa village, police said on Thursday.
Sunita (26), her husband Guddu, son Saurabh (5), two daughters Shikha and Shilpa and her father-in-law Mool Chand were injured when the accused Rajesh threw acid on them in Kheri area on Wednesday, Deputy Superintendent of Police Dinesh Kumar Puri said.
The injured were rushed to hospital from where Sunita was referred to Lucknow, he added.
"Sunita was rushed to a hospital in Lucknow for treatment. However, she could not survive the attack and succumbed to her injuries," the DSP said.
On the complaint of Sunita`s father-in-law Mool Chand, an FIR has been lodged against Rajesh of the same village, said Puri.
"Rajesh had been arrested and was being send to jail," the DSP said.
Rajesh allegedly scaled the terrace of Sunita`s house on the intervening night of June 4 and 5 when she alongwith her family members was sleeping, said Puri.
He then allegedly poured acid on the family members from a container and fled the spot, he added.
The motive behind the attack could not be established, however, reports said Rajesh had some personal enmity with the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway