Women pray for first time in Azan Peer Dargah
Guwahati: History was created in Assam
on Friday with women offering namaaz for the first time in the
historic Azan Peer Sahab Dargah in Sibsagar at the initiative
of Governor J B Patnaik and his wife Jayanti Patnaik.
A group of about twenty women offered the Friday noon
prayers inside the dargah along with the First Lady while the
men, along with the Governor, prayed outside.
Earlier, it was planned to allow women to pray outside
the main mosque in a specially erected pandal within the
premises, but later the governor urged the authorities to
allow the women to pray inside which was duly accepted.
The prayers were led by Kazi, Maulana Abdul Kabir
Speaking on the occasion, the Governor said women had
made great strides in various field and it was not fair to
keep them away from places of religious worship.
Syed Milan Shah Baghdadi, popularly knowed as Azan
Peer (Faquir) Sahib was a Sufi saint, a poet, a preacher, a
reformer and an Islamic scholar who came from Baghdad to Assam
and reformed, reinforced and stabilized Islam in the region
through his songs called `zikir` and `jari`.
Azan Peer was buried at Saraiguri Chapori on the banks
of river Dikhow, about 22 km from Sibsagar at the dargah.
The governor had earlier ensured the entry of a group
of women to the Patbausi Sattra in Barpeta also creating
history as they were not allowed to enter vaishnav
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick