Worried about situation in Bangladesh: Gogoi
New Delhi: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday expressed concern over the protests and violence in Bangladesh saying these may have impacts on his state.
"We are worried about the Bangladesh situation. We want Bangladesh to settle down. If anything happens, it is definitely affecting us. They are my next door neighbour," he said at a press conference here.
Referring to the ongoing turmoil in Bangladesh, he said "I do feel it is a delicate issue. At the same time, we want to see if there is election. Let there be peaceful election".
There have been protests and violence in Bangladesh demanding a ban on Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami whose leaders are on trial for war crimes committed in the 1971 war of independence.
The Chief Minister said he came to the national capital to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi and apprise them about the situation in the state.
"I had long discussions with the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) on security scenario in the state," he said.
Gogoi said as his state is surrounded by foreign countries and it is facing various problems like insurgency and Naxal violence, police must be strengthened.
Commenting on insurgent group GULFA, Gogoi said the outfit`s elusive commander-in-chief Paresh Barua has no longer support base and his position has been weakened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon