Worried about situation in Bangladesh: Gogoi
New Delhi: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday expressed concern over the protests and violence in Bangladesh saying these may have impacts on his state.
"We are worried about the Bangladesh situation. We want Bangladesh to settle down. If anything happens, it is definitely affecting us. They are my next door neighbour," he said at a press conference here.
Referring to the ongoing turmoil in Bangladesh, he said "I do feel it is a delicate issue. At the same time, we want to see if there is election. Let there be peaceful election".
There have been protests and violence in Bangladesh demanding a ban on Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami whose leaders are on trial for war crimes committed in the 1971 war of independence.
The Chief Minister said he came to the national capital to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi and apprise them about the situation in the state.
"I had long discussions with the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) on security scenario in the state," he said.
Gogoi said as his state is surrounded by foreign countries and it is facing various problems like insurgency and Naxal violence, police must be strengthened.
Commenting on insurgent group GULFA, Gogoi said the outfit`s elusive commander-in-chief Paresh Barua has no longer support base and his position has been weakened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what