Youth Congress leader shot dead by constable in Assam
Tinsukia: A Youth Congress leader was allegedly shot dead by a police constable in Guijan police outpost in Tinsukia district of Assam, official sources said on Monday.
Guijan block Yuva Congress General Secretary Kartick Das had gone with three persons to file an FIR at the police outpost last night, about 7km from Tinsukia town police station, they said.
Following an argument between OP in-charge Madan Shyam Sinha and Das, constable Thaneswar Phukan, who was present there, allegedly in an inebriated condition picked up his rifle and fired upon the Congress leader from a close range killing him on the spot, sources said.
Angered by the killing, people today gheraoed the outpost demanding action against the culprits, they said, adding that both the constable and OP in-charge were arrested, they said and investigations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch