Zero tolerance for inept handling of law and order: Gogoi
Guwahati: In the wake of SP Nityananda Goswami`s death in an encounter, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday warned DCs and SPs of the state that there will be zero tolerance for poor handling of law and order situation.
In a video conference with all the Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police of the state, Gogoi said "No laxity will be tolerated for inept handling of law and order. The police and administrative officials will have to handle a situation adroitly without allowing it to drift."
Goswami, the Superintendent of Hamren police district, was leading an operation on June 5 against terrorist group UPLA in the remote Rongthang forest area when they came face to face with a large group of the ultras, who opened fire and killed him along with his PSO Ratul Nunisa.
Driving home the point that development was an important mechanism towards improving law and order, the Chief Minister asked the DCs and SPs to play a proactive role in this direction.
"The wheels of development have to move on and it should not be allowed to come to a halt because of law and order problem. Development activities have to be accorded top priority and the benefits of welfare schemes launched by the government have to percolate down to all sections of society," he added.
Calling for an end to the "bandh culture", Gogoi directed the officials to handle bandhs, road and rail blockades strictly "as they cause lot of hardships and misery to the people and slow down the economy".
The Chief Minister also requested the officers to prioritise activities providing employment opportunities and ensuring fruitful engagement of the youth to wean them away from unlawful activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you