Zero tolerance for inept handling of law and order: Gogoi
Guwahati: In the wake of SP Nityananda Goswami`s death in an encounter, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday warned DCs and SPs of the state that there will be zero tolerance for poor handling of law and order situation.
In a video conference with all the Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police of the state, Gogoi said "No laxity will be tolerated for inept handling of law and order. The police and administrative officials will have to handle a situation adroitly without allowing it to drift."
Goswami, the Superintendent of Hamren police district, was leading an operation on June 5 against terrorist group UPLA in the remote Rongthang forest area when they came face to face with a large group of the ultras, who opened fire and killed him along with his PSO Ratul Nunisa.
Driving home the point that development was an important mechanism towards improving law and order, the Chief Minister asked the DCs and SPs to play a proactive role in this direction.
"The wheels of development have to move on and it should not be allowed to come to a halt because of law and order problem. Development activities have to be accorded top priority and the benefits of welfare schemes launched by the government have to percolate down to all sections of society," he added.
Calling for an end to the "bandh culture", Gogoi directed the officials to handle bandhs, road and rail blockades strictly "as they cause lot of hardships and misery to the people and slow down the economy".
The Chief Minister also requested the officers to prioritise activities providing employment opportunities and ensuring fruitful engagement of the youth to wean them away from unlawful activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan