TDP-BJP alliance sweeps to power in Seemandhra, Congress routed
Hyderabad: The TDP-BJP combine on Friday stormed to power in the residual state of Andhra Pradesh, commonly known as Seemandhra, as Congress was virtually wiped out in the Assembly polls which were held simultaneously with the Lok Sabha elections.
Riding "the Modi wave", the TDP-BJP alliance bagged 99 seats at the last count, with YSR Congress Party securing 64. The region has a total of 175 Assembly segments.
A vigorous campaigning by Telugu film star Pawan Kalyan, a die-hard Narendra Modi fan, too apparently helped the BJP-TDP combine.
TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu, who has been winning from Kuppam in Chittoor district since 1989, retained the seat this time also, while YSRCP president YS Jagan Mohan Reddy won from Pulivendula in Kadapa district.
Naidu would be returning as a Chief Minister after a decade, having been in the opposition for two terms in the pre-bifurcated Andhra Pradesh.
Congress slumped to its worst performance with all its leaders, including the Andhra Pradesh Congress chief N Raghuveera Reddy, biting the dust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog