TDP-BJP alliance wins 17 Lok Sabha seats in Seemandhra
Hyderabad: The TDP-BJP alliance has bagged 17 out of 25 Lok Sabha seats in Seemandhra while YSR Congress Party has won eight seats.
The Congress, which had won 21 seats in 2009 elections, and Jai Samaikyandhra Party floated recently by former chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy drew a blank.
The Telugu Desam Paty (TDP) on its own captured 15 seats while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won two out of four it contested.
The YSRCP not only retained Kadapa and Nellore Lok Sabha constituencies which it won in the by-elections in 2011 but wrested six more seats from the Congress.
YSRCP, however, suffered a setback in Visakhapatnam as its honorary president YS Vijayamma lost the election. Vijayamma, who is mother of party chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy, was defeated by over 90,000 votes by K Haribabu of BJP.
Jaganmohan Reddy`s cousin YS Avinash Reddy and uncle YV Subba Reddy were elected from Kadapa and Ongole respectively.
The prominent winners from TDP include former state ministers Ashok Gajapati Raju (Vizianagaram) and JC Diwakar Reddy (Anantapur), industrialist G.Jayadev (Guntur) and actor-turned-politician Murali Mohan (Rajahmundry).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'