NPF announces 12 candidates for Arunachal Assembly polls
Kohima: The Naga People`s Front (NPF) today declared names of 12 candidates for the forthcoming Assembly elections in Arunachal Pradesh scheduled on April 9, a senior party official said.
Four candidates would be fielded in the Naga-inhabited areas of the state while eight would be fielded from Itanagar, party president Shurhozelie Liezietsu said during a ticket distribution ceremony here today.
On Students Union Movement of Arunachal (SUMA)`s call to oppose NPF`s entry into the state, he said the party will take up the matter carefully as there are some "misinterpretations".
"We will meet SUMA leaders and resolve the matter with them," he said. On SUMA`s allegations that the NPF has close ties with NSCN (I-M) and its presence in the state would lead to a tribal unrest and exert political influence through "militant power", he clarified that NPF and NSCN (I-M) are different.
"Ours (NPF) is a recognised political party and when there are takers, we can go to any part of the country."
The SUMA has written to the state chief electoral commissioner in this connection also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley