Odisha minister Rabi Nanda, Union Minister Srikant Jena losers
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Minister Rabi Narayan Nanda and BJD vice-president A U Singhdeo were major losers from the ruling party while Congress state president Jaydev Jena, Union Minister Srikant Jena and party`s chief whip Prasad Harichandan also lost in the hustings.
Senior BJP leader and former minister Bijay Mohapatra also lost the polls to BJD`s Atyanu S Nayak at Mahakalpada Assembly segment.
Two former chief ministers and senior Congress leaders like Giridhar Gamang and Hemanand Biswal are facing defeat from their respective BJD and BJP rivals at Koraput and Sundergarh Lok sabha seats.
While Gamang was trailing by over 20,000 votes at Koraput Lok Sabha seats, sitting Sundergarh MP Hemanand Biswal was pushed to third place. Former Union minister and BJP candidate Jual Oram was ahead of BJD candidate Dilip Tirkey by about 15,000 votes in Sundargarh.
School and mass education minister Rabi Narayan Nanda lost to Congress`s Tara Prasad Bahinipati at Jeypore assembly seat in a major embarrassment for Naveen Patnaik led BJD. Nanda`s losing margin was above 8,500 votes.
Former minister and sitting MLA from Balangir A U Singhdeo, too lost to Congress stalwart Narashingha Mishra.
Similarly, OPCC president Jaydev Jena lost the polls to BJD`s Mayadhar Jena by 22,224 votes and his party colleague and Union minister Srikant Jena lost the polls at Balasore Lok Sabha seat. Jena was pushed to third place while the seat was won by BJD`s Rabinda Kumar Jena.
BJP legislature party leader Jaynarayan Mishra also lost the polls at Sambalpur Assembly segment by BJD candidate Raseswari Panigrahi.
Former minister and ex-BJP state president Manmohan Samal was also among the major losers along with Anup Sai of BJD at Brajarajnagar. Sai had joined BJD after quitting Congress just before elections.
In Champua Assembly seat, BJD candidate and actor T P Satpathy alias Papu Pom Pom lost the polls to independent candidate Kusha Apat while former minister and BJD candidate Bishnu Das lost the polls in Jagatsinghpur Assembly seat.
Congress Chief Whip and senior party leader Prasad Harichandan, who in the outgoing Assembly was the principal opposition to the BJD government, also lost the polls at Satyabadi assembly segment.
Among major winners were: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik from Hinjili, all ministers except Rabi Narayan Nanda, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat, former Union minister and BJP leader Dilip Ray from Rourkela Assembly segment and senior Congress leader Narasingha Mishra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!
- Three Naxals shot dead by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- Drug that helps addicts may benefit cancer patients too