Bengaluru demolition drive continues; BBMP commissioner vows to seek dismissal of officials responsible for encroachments
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had ordered Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) officials to clear encroachments on lake beds and Rajakaluves.
Bengaluru: As a demolition drive is underway in several parts of Bengaluru, Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) commissioner N Manjunath Prasad has said that criminal cases would be filed against civic officials who allowed encroachment.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had ordered the BBMP officials to clear encroachments on lake beds and Rajakaluves or Storm Water Drains (SWDs), after the city witnessed flooding in several parts due to heavy incessant rains last week.
Notably, Siddaramaiah had on Monday vowed action against the violators.
"However influential or big they may be, merciless action will be taken against all those who have encroached upon storm water drains, whether they are builders or developers,” Siddaramaiah had told reporters.
Meanwhile, The Hindu quoted Civic Commissioner N Manjunath Prasad as saying that criminal cases will be booked against civic officials who allowed encroachers to flourish.
Around 100 houses have been demolished across the city, making a number of families homeless.
The BBMP has zeroed in 1,923 encroachments, some of which have already been razed to the ground in earlier drives.
Recently, incessant rains had inundated streets, crippling normal life in several parts of the city. Overflowing lakes and drainage systems coupled with uprooted trees compounded the people's woes.
Low lying areas, particularly Kodichikkanahalli and Bilekahalli, where water entered houses, were worst affected.
On Saturday, the BBMP had begun the demolition drive at Avani Sringeri Nagar in Bommanahalli, Kasavanahalli in Mahadevapura and Shivanahalli in Yelahanka.