10 engineering students booked for ragging in Bihar
Patna: As many as 10 engineering students have been booked for ragging a first-year student, officials said on Friday.
The case was lodged nearly a week after engineering student Raj Aryan left the engineering college in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district following harassment and physical abuse in the guise of ragging by seniors, officials said.
Raj Aryan, a first-year student of information technology of Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology (MIT), left the institute on September 5.
"I had taken admission on August 17 but ragging by senior students forced me to apply for a transfer certificate on September 3 and finally I left the institute to escape ragging," said Raj Aryan who is a resident of a village in Patna district.
Muzaffarpur District Magistrate Anupam Kumar said that police have lodged a case against 10 students of MIT for ragging.
"I have also directed the authorities of MIT to take action against the students found involved in ragging of Raj Aryan," Kumar said.
Ravikant Jha, a district police official, said that First Information Report (FIR) was lodged against them on the basis of a statement of Raj Aryan`s father Ajit Prasad.
"Had he (Aryan) not collected his transfer certificate, my son would have been killed or forced to commit suicide because of the torture meted out to him," Prasad stated in the FIR.
Prasad said that his son repeatedly told him that first-year students residing in hostels and on the MIT premises were paraded naked in the dark. He also said they were humiliated and physically tortured.
MIT principal Kumar Surendra said that institute will take action against students after submission of report by anti-ragging cell that is probing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi