10 engineering students booked for ragging in Bihar
Patna: As many as 10 engineering students have been booked for ragging a first-year student, officials said on Friday.
The case was lodged nearly a week after engineering student Raj Aryan left the engineering college in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district following harassment and physical abuse in the guise of ragging by seniors, officials said.
Raj Aryan, a first-year student of information technology of Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology (MIT), left the institute on September 5.
"I had taken admission on August 17 but ragging by senior students forced me to apply for a transfer certificate on September 3 and finally I left the institute to escape ragging," said Raj Aryan who is a resident of a village in Patna district.
Muzaffarpur District Magistrate Anupam Kumar said that police have lodged a case against 10 students of MIT for ragging.
"I have also directed the authorities of MIT to take action against the students found involved in ragging of Raj Aryan," Kumar said.
Ravikant Jha, a district police official, said that First Information Report (FIR) was lodged against them on the basis of a statement of Raj Aryan`s father Ajit Prasad.
"Had he (Aryan) not collected his transfer certificate, my son would have been killed or forced to commit suicide because of the torture meted out to him," Prasad stated in the FIR.
Prasad said that his son repeatedly told him that first-year students residing in hostels and on the MIT premises were paraded naked in the dark. He also said they were humiliated and physically tortured.
MIT principal Kumar Surendra said that institute will take action against students after submission of report by anti-ragging cell that is probing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says