10 engineering students booked for ragging in Bihar
Patna: As many as 10 engineering students have been booked for ragging a first-year student, officials said on Friday.
The case was lodged nearly a week after engineering student Raj Aryan left the engineering college in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district following harassment and physical abuse in the guise of ragging by seniors, officials said.
Raj Aryan, a first-year student of information technology of Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology (MIT), left the institute on September 5.
"I had taken admission on August 17 but ragging by senior students forced me to apply for a transfer certificate on September 3 and finally I left the institute to escape ragging," said Raj Aryan who is a resident of a village in Patna district.
Muzaffarpur District Magistrate Anupam Kumar said that police have lodged a case against 10 students of MIT for ragging.
"I have also directed the authorities of MIT to take action against the students found involved in ragging of Raj Aryan," Kumar said.
Ravikant Jha, a district police official, said that First Information Report (FIR) was lodged against them on the basis of a statement of Raj Aryan`s father Ajit Prasad.
"Had he (Aryan) not collected his transfer certificate, my son would have been killed or forced to commit suicide because of the torture meted out to him," Prasad stated in the FIR.
Prasad said that his son repeatedly told him that first-year students residing in hostels and on the MIT premises were paraded naked in the dark. He also said they were humiliated and physically tortured.
MIT principal Kumar Surendra said that institute will take action against students after submission of report by anti-ragging cell that is probing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers
- PM Modi-led govt completes two years; Facebook tracks his journey on social media
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two +2 Class 12th Exams Results 2016 is likely to be declared today on May 27 - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in