10.5L Class IX, X students to teach the illiterate
Patna: In a bid to eradicate illiteracy
in Bihar, the state government has decided to rope in 10.5
lakh class IX and X students to educate 1.2 crore adult
illiterate people in Bihar.
The plan will be executed under a five-month literacy
campaign `Sakshar Bharat Yojana` to be launched from November
11 next, according to an HRD official.
Under the proposal, as many as 10.50 lakh class IX and
X students will be co-opted as volunteers to teach basic
reading and writing skills to the illiterate people in Bihar,
Principal Secretary (HRD) Anjani Kumar Singh said.
The fruits of the students` labour in imparting basic
education to their illiterate brothers will not go unrewarded
as they stood to gain 10 marks in the social science subject
in the matriculation examination, he said.
The HRD will launch campaign throughout the state to
tap volunteers from the government high schools and impart
them basic training to finetune their teaching skills to
undertake the task of tutoring illiterate people, Singh said.
Each student volunteer will be tasked to teach 10-12
The HRD has also set rolling an administrative
infrastructure for implementation and monitoring of the
Bharat Yojana in Bihar with as many as 250 trainers undergoing
an intense training programme at the Directorate of Adult
Education for Kendra resource person, he said.
These KRPs will provide training to the panchayat
level motivators at the public training centres which will be
set up soon at all panchayats in the state, the HRD official
A male and a female motivator each have been
appointed at each panchayat with an honorarium of Rs 2000 to
motivate the illiterate people to learn basic reading and
writing skills under the Sakshar Bharat Yojana, he said.
The panchayat-level motivators must have basic
knowledge of computers to feed data regarding the number of
illiterate adults undergoing literary programme so as funds
could be released for sustaining the literacy campaign,
Besides, the elected representatives at the grass root
level like mukhia and block pramukh will supervise the adult
literacy programme, Singh said.
The official said that any wrongdoing on the part
of the KRPs, motivators and volunteers (students) will be
easily detected as the central government will be directly
monitoring the Sakshar Bharat Yojana.
The Sakshar Bharat Yojana will be launched in 35
districts of Bihar on November 11 next to achieve cent per
cent adult literacy in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...