10.5L Class IX, X students to teach the illiterate
Patna: In a bid to eradicate illiteracy
in Bihar, the state government has decided to rope in 10.5
lakh class IX and X students to educate 1.2 crore adult
illiterate people in Bihar.
The plan will be executed under a five-month literacy
campaign `Sakshar Bharat Yojana` to be launched from November
11 next, according to an HRD official.
Under the proposal, as many as 10.50 lakh class IX and
X students will be co-opted as volunteers to teach basic
reading and writing skills to the illiterate people in Bihar,
Principal Secretary (HRD) Anjani Kumar Singh said.
The fruits of the students` labour in imparting basic
education to their illiterate brothers will not go unrewarded
as they stood to gain 10 marks in the social science subject
in the matriculation examination, he said.
The HRD will launch campaign throughout the state to
tap volunteers from the government high schools and impart
them basic training to finetune their teaching skills to
undertake the task of tutoring illiterate people, Singh said.
Each student volunteer will be tasked to teach 10-12
The HRD has also set rolling an administrative
infrastructure for implementation and monitoring of the
Bharat Yojana in Bihar with as many as 250 trainers undergoing
an intense training programme at the Directorate of Adult
Education for Kendra resource person, he said.
These KRPs will provide training to the panchayat
level motivators at the public training centres which will be
set up soon at all panchayats in the state, the HRD official
A male and a female motivator each have been
appointed at each panchayat with an honorarium of Rs 2000 to
motivate the illiterate people to learn basic reading and
writing skills under the Sakshar Bharat Yojana, he said.
The panchayat-level motivators must have basic
knowledge of computers to feed data regarding the number of
illiterate adults undergoing literary programme so as funds
could be released for sustaining the literacy campaign,
Besides, the elected representatives at the grass root
level like mukhia and block pramukh will supervise the adult
literacy programme, Singh said.
The official said that any wrongdoing on the part
of the KRPs, motivators and volunteers (students) will be
easily detected as the central government will be directly
monitoring the Sakshar Bharat Yojana.
The Sakshar Bharat Yojana will be launched in 35
districts of Bihar on November 11 next to achieve cent per
cent adult literacy in the state, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know