11 drown in Bihar boat capsize
Patna: Eleven persons drowned and 15 others
were missing when their overcrowded boat sank in the Punpun
river near Behrampur village in Patna district on Sunday.
Director-General of Police Neelmani said the boat was
carrying 55 passengers from Bharochokia village in the Pipra
police station area to a fair at Naubatpur in Patna district.
All the 11 bodies, including those of four women and three
children, have been fished out from the river bed. The rest of
the passengers other than the 15 missing swam to safety, the
A massive search operation has been launched with the help
of trained divers to locate the missing passengers. Personnel
of the National Disaster Response Force have also been rushed
from Patna to join the rescue operation.
Senior officials, including District Magistrate J K Sinha,
are overseeing the rescue operation.
Official sources said the state Disaster Management
Department has announced compensation of Rs one lakh for
dependents of each of the drowned.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed sorrow over the
deaths and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
Kumar has also asked the state Disaster Management
Department and the district administration to intensify rescue
and relief work, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says