11 drown in Bihar boat capsize
Patna: Eleven persons drowned and 15 others
were missing when their overcrowded boat sank in the Punpun
river near Behrampur village in Patna district on Sunday.
Director-General of Police Neelmani said the boat was
carrying 55 passengers from Bharochokia village in the Pipra
police station area to a fair at Naubatpur in Patna district.
All the 11 bodies, including those of four women and three
children, have been fished out from the river bed. The rest of
the passengers other than the 15 missing swam to safety, the
A massive search operation has been launched with the help
of trained divers to locate the missing passengers. Personnel
of the National Disaster Response Force have also been rushed
from Patna to join the rescue operation.
Senior officials, including District Magistrate J K Sinha,
are overseeing the rescue operation.
Official sources said the state Disaster Management
Department has announced compensation of Rs one lakh for
dependents of each of the drowned.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed sorrow over the
deaths and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
Kumar has also asked the state Disaster Management
Department and the district administration to intensify rescue
and relief work, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation
- Sakshi Malik announced brand ambassador of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign in Haryana