11 drown in Bihar boat capsize
Patna: Eleven persons drowned and 15 others
were missing when their overcrowded boat sank in the Punpun
river near Behrampur village in Patna district on Sunday.
Director-General of Police Neelmani said the boat was
carrying 55 passengers from Bharochokia village in the Pipra
police station area to a fair at Naubatpur in Patna district.
All the 11 bodies, including those of four women and three
children, have been fished out from the river bed. The rest of
the passengers other than the 15 missing swam to safety, the
A massive search operation has been launched with the help
of trained divers to locate the missing passengers. Personnel
of the National Disaster Response Force have also been rushed
from Patna to join the rescue operation.
Senior officials, including District Magistrate J K Sinha,
are overseeing the rescue operation.
Official sources said the state Disaster Management
Department has announced compensation of Rs one lakh for
dependents of each of the drowned.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed sorrow over the
deaths and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
Kumar has also asked the state Disaster Management
Department and the district administration to intensify rescue
and relief work, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM