11 drown in Bihar boat capsize
Patna: Eleven persons drowned and 15 others
were missing when their overcrowded boat sank in the Punpun
river near Behrampur village in Patna district on Sunday.
Director-General of Police Neelmani said the boat was
carrying 55 passengers from Bharochokia village in the Pipra
police station area to a fair at Naubatpur in Patna district.
All the 11 bodies, including those of four women and three
children, have been fished out from the river bed. The rest of
the passengers other than the 15 missing swam to safety, the
A massive search operation has been launched with the help
of trained divers to locate the missing passengers. Personnel
of the National Disaster Response Force have also been rushed
from Patna to join the rescue operation.
Senior officials, including District Magistrate J K Sinha,
are overseeing the rescue operation.
Official sources said the state Disaster Management
Department has announced compensation of Rs one lakh for
dependents of each of the drowned.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed sorrow over the
deaths and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
Kumar has also asked the state Disaster Management
Department and the district administration to intensify rescue
and relief work, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!