111 children dead due to Acute Encephalitis Symdrome in Bihar
Patna: Altogether 111 children have died due to Acute Encephalitis Symdrome (AES) in Bihar since May and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has asked the union health secretary to send a central team to help in tackling the disease, state Health Minister Ashwani Chaube said on Tuesday.
Chaube, who was speaking to newsmen after a meeting with the chief minister, said the government will rush in a team of doctors along with ambulances and medicine from primary health centres and the districts to the affected districts of Gaya ,Muzaffarpur and Koshi region to treat the affected.
The government, he said, has decided to launch a campaign in the affected areas to create awareness to prevent the disease and ensure treatment of the affected children.
He lamented the absence of a laboratory in the state and said the state government had last year requested the Centre to set up one to expeditiously identify viral-related symptoms along the lines of the one in Pune.
Chaube said the chief minister has approved compensation of Rs 50000 to the kin of each victim from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund.
The provision for compensation for fever-related deaths would remain in place in future too, he added.
Kumar had said yesterday that the death of children due to AES has become a matter of grave concern and tackling the disease has proved to be a big challenge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note