13 Bihar districts have arsenic contaminated underground water
Patna: Underground water of over 1,500
hamlets in 13 districts of Bihar has arsenic contents beyond
the permissible limit, a state minister said Sunday.
Stating that arsenic treatment plants were being set up in
ten districts at a cost of Rs 1,100 crore, public health and
engineering department minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey said
the decision was taken after an examination of underground
water of the districts, situated on both banks of the Ganga,
found that 1,618 hamlets in 13 districts did have arsenic more
than the permissible limit.
The water treatment plant at Ara in Bhojpur was ready,
while in other districts the work was underway, he said.
The districts having arsenic more than the permissible
limit in its underground water are Buxar, Bhojpur, Patna,
Saran, Vaishali, Samastipur, Begusarai, Khagaria, Katihar,
Munger, Bhagalpur, Lakhisarai and Darbhanga, he said.
The government had initiated steps to provide potable
water to the people living in the hamlets of these districts.
To provide them safe water, it has been decided to dig up two
sanitary wells in 838 worst arsenic-affected hamlets as a
short term measure, Choubey said.
So far, 575 sanitary wells have been constructed.
The minister said the government had decided to use
Ganga water to provide safe drinking water to 39
arsenic-affected villages of Bhojopur district.
The water would be treated and then supplied to the
arsenic-hit villages of the district under `multi-village`
scheme that would be completed by March end this year.
Choubey said the government sanctioned the
multi-village scheme for 130 arsenic-affected hamlets in
Buxar, 25 villages in Patna district and 45 villages of
Vaishali that would be completed during 2010-11.
The government has sanctioned a scheme of Rs 107.17
crore for supply of drinking water using `upper bed` water in
the worst-affected 39 villages falling under Matihani and
Baruauni blocks of Begusarai district.
Similar steps have been undertaken to supply safe
drinking water to 67 villages of Samastipur and 86 villages of
Bhagalpur at a cost of Rs 82 crore and 78.29 crore
The minister said besides the arsenic-hit villages,
the government would launch a a separate scheme for 8188
hamlets of 11 districts having excess fluoride in the water.
The fluroide-affected districts identified by the
department are Nalanda, Rohtas, Kaimur, Gaya, Aurangabad,
Nawada, Bhagalpur, Banka, Munger, Jamui and Shiekhpura,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’