14 deaths due to Cyclone Phailin reported in Bihar
Patna: Four persons have died in Bihar since on Tuesday in rain-related incidents due to the `peripheral effect` of Cyclone Phailin, taking the death toll in the state to 14.
Three persons died in Vaishali district and one in Madhubani district since yesterday due to wall collapse and falling of trees, Disaster Management department Principal Secretary Vyas Ji said.
Reports from various other districts, however, put the death toll at 14.
While four deaths were reported from Vaishali, the districts of Bhagalpur, Darbhanga, Samastipur, Madhubani and Buxar claimed two deaths each.
These deaths were caused by drowning due to capsizing of a country boat in the Ganga in Bhagalpur, falling of trees and walls, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Cyclone Phailin has triggered heavy rains in the state in the last two days averaging 125.3 mm with Bhojpur, Siwan and Patna districts experiencing the heaviest rainfall.
However, there was a let up in rainfall since this morning.
According to Met office, the rain bearing clouds have moved to neighbouring Nepal, Vyas Ji said.
He said the weather forecast has warned of rainfall particularly in the areas near Gandak and Kosi rivers today.
Director Meteorology R K Giri said the state witnessed heavy rainfall in the last two days due to the cyclone.
The state saw 125.3 mm rain on an average during the past two days in place of a normal rainfall of 3.2 mm at this time of the season.
As a result, water level in almost all the rivers in the state rose with Bagmati and Punpun crossing the danger mark.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar held a review meeting on the weather condition in the state yesterday in the wake of the cyclone.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata