25 drown, as many missing in Bihar boat capsize
Supaul: Twenty-five people
drowned and an equal number went missing when an overcrowded
country boat capsized after being caught in a whirlpool in the
swollen Kosi river here this evening.
Local divers fished out 25 bodies, including that of
three children, from the river and were trying to trace the
missing, District Magistrate Kumar Ravi said.
The boat, ferrying 50 passengers who were going attend
a `shradh` ceremony, was caught in the whirlpool near Hari
panchayat area and sank, he said.
The local divers were being hindered by darkness and
rain in their search for the missing passengers, he said.
In Patna, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced
payment of ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh to the relatives of those
He said that a national Disaster Response Force had
rushed to the spot.
Senior officials, including the Superintendent of
Police, S Prasad, were camping at the spot to supervise the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka