25 injured in Hazaribagh during Chhath festivities
Hazaribagh: At least 25 people, including 10 policemen, were injured and a police jeep was burnt during overnight clashes between two communities during Chhath festivities at a village near here, police said.
Trouble erupted last evening over alleged pollution of
fresh water with drain water which led to brick-batting
between the two sides in which at least 12 people were
injured, they said.
The situation was controlled by the police but clashes
broke out afresh today when the villagers hurled stones at
Pelabal police station on the outskirts of the town and
injured 10 policemen. Three persons were also injured in stone
Deputy Commissioner R K Agarwal said the mob also set
afire the jeep of deputy superintendent of police Naushad
The police resorted to baton charge, burst tear gas
shells and fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said.
20 people, including a local political party leader
Razi Ahmed, were arrested in connection with the incident,
Agarwal said, adding a search was launched to nab those
involved in the clash.
The situation was under control as police reinforcement,
including rapid action force, was deployed in the area and
section 144 CrPC clamped, the officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India