25 injured in Hazaribagh during Chhath festivities
Hazaribagh: At least 25 people, including 10 policemen, were injured and a police jeep was burnt during overnight clashes between two communities during Chhath festivities at a village near here, police said.
Trouble erupted last evening over alleged pollution of
fresh water with drain water which led to brick-batting
between the two sides in which at least 12 people were
injured, they said.
The situation was controlled by the police but clashes
broke out afresh today when the villagers hurled stones at
Pelabal police station on the outskirts of the town and
injured 10 policemen. Three persons were also injured in stone
Deputy Commissioner R K Agarwal said the mob also set
afire the jeep of deputy superintendent of police Naushad
The police resorted to baton charge, burst tear gas
shells and fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said.
20 people, including a local political party leader
Razi Ahmed, were arrested in connection with the incident,
Agarwal said, adding a search was launched to nab those
involved in the clash.
The situation was under control as police reinforcement,
including rapid action force, was deployed in the area and
section 144 CrPC clamped, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers