25 injured in Hazaribagh during Chhath festivities
Hazaribagh: At least 25 people, including 10 policemen, were injured and a police jeep was burnt during overnight clashes between two communities during Chhath festivities at a village near here, police said.
Trouble erupted last evening over alleged pollution of
fresh water with drain water which led to brick-batting
between the two sides in which at least 12 people were
injured, they said.
The situation was controlled by the police but clashes
broke out afresh today when the villagers hurled stones at
Pelabal police station on the outskirts of the town and
injured 10 policemen. Three persons were also injured in stone
Deputy Commissioner R K Agarwal said the mob also set
afire the jeep of deputy superintendent of police Naushad
The police resorted to baton charge, burst tear gas
shells and fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said.
20 people, including a local political party leader
Razi Ahmed, were arrested in connection with the incident,
Agarwal said, adding a search was launched to nab those
involved in the clash.
The situation was under control as police reinforcement,
including rapid action force, was deployed in the area and
section 144 CrPC clamped, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test