28 of 38 Bihar districts facing drought
Patna: As many as 28 of the 38 districts in Bihar are facing a drought-like situation because of a 28 percent rainfall deficit, officials said Wednesday.
"The state government is likely to declare 28 districts drought-hit either at the end of this week or early next week," Vayasji, principal secretary of the state disaster management department, said.
Poor rainfall has affected paddy sowing and plantation, triggering fears of another drought.
Last year, the state government declared 33 of the 38 districts drought-hit due to a rainfall shortage of nearly 25 percent.
AK Sen, an official of the meteorological department in Patna, said there is little hope of good rainfall in the next two weeks. "In the past 10 days, scanty rainfall has affected agriculture and the situation is likely to worsen in the coming days. Drought is a reality in Bihar," he said.
Nearly two-thirds of Bihar`s population of 10.5 crore, who earn their livelihood from agriculture and agricultural activities, are dependent on rain.
"We are depending on God`s mercy for rainfall. We are losing hope as paddy plantations are dying due to lack of adequate water," Sambhu Singh, a farmer of Janipur village near Patna, said.
Farmers also complain of lack of water in the canals for irrigation. A large part of central Bihar is irrigated by water from the Sone river and regulated through canals.
"We are waiting for water in the canal for over two weeks but none is available," Fazlu Rahman Khan of Raghunathpur village in Aurangabad district said.
The monsoon usually hits the state between June 14 and 18.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India