28 years on, betel nut pulled out of man`s lung
Patna: Seventy-five-year-old Krishna Kant Jha is now a relaxed man. After 28 years of suffering from chronic cough and regular bouts of fits, a piece of betel nut was found to be cause of his problems and was finally extricated from his lungs.
Jha, an advocate in Samastipur district, said he suffered for more than two and half decades. Dozens of doctors treated him but failed to discover the betel nut in his lungs.
"It was a betel nut that was embedded in my lung, and used to obstruct my airway. It was like life in hell but now I am happy and healthy," Jha said.
Jha said he consulted several doctors in and outside Bihar since 1985.
"But all of them treated me for different ailments, including chest infection to pneumonia and tuberculosis and also for epilepsy. They failed to trace the betel nut, and never diagnosed it," he said.
Finally, chest specialist Sudhir Kumar discovered the betel nut lodged in Jha`s lungs.
"When I consulted him for treatment, he found the betel nut in my lung and said it was the cause of my health problems for years," he said.
Sudhir Kumar along with anaesthetic Subhash Kumar, both based in Patna, successfully performed bronchoscopy on Jha to extricate the betel nut.
Bronchoscopy is a non-surgical procedure in which an illuminated fibre optic cable is inserted into the wind pipe of the lungs.
"We extricated a betel nut, measuring 10 mm in diameter, from Jha`s lung," Sudhir Kumar said.
Jha no longer suffers from severe cough and bouts of unconsciousness that he suffered three-four times a day.
Jha said he was a habitual betel-nut chewer and had swallowed the nut over two-and-a-half decades back that proved painful for him for so many years.
"Thanks to Dr. Sudhir, I will enjoy my life now," Jha said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know