35 child labourers rescued in Delhi
New Delhi: 35 children, who were trafficked
from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh and were working in leather goods
factories in Delhi, were rescued by authorities on Wednesday.
Fourteen children were rescued in a raid conducted by
officials of Task Force on Child Labour, Delhi Police, Labour
Department and members of NGOs Salam Balak Trust and Human
Rights Law Network in Sadar Bazar.
The children, trafficked from Purnea district in Bihar,
were working in purse and bag manufacturing units. "They were
being forced to work for 12-14 hours a day. The rescued
children have been sent to a shelter home built by Delhi Metro
Rail Corporation and being run by Salam Balak Trust," an
official of an NGO, which was part of the team, said.
An NGO member, who was part of the team, meanwhile,
alleged that local community leaders and owners of the
manufacturing units surrounded their car and hurled abuses and
threats, especially targeting the women.
"This is becoming a trend. Recently, a rescue team of NGO
Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) was also attacked during an
operation to rescue child labourers," she said.
A team of BBA was attacked by a mob in Khureji area of
east Delhi on March 17 and some child labourers they had
rescued from there were forcibly taken away.
In another operation today by police, task force and
labour department officials along with BBA, 21 child labourers
trafficked from Bihar and UP and working in shoe making units
in Keshav Pura in north-west Delhi were rescued and three
persons employing them were arrested.
The children, who were in the age group of 9 to 14 years,
have been sent to Mukti Ashram rehabilitation home from where
they will be sent back to their homes, BBA said in a press
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday