40 students fall ill after mid-day meal in Bihar
Patna: At least 40 children fell ill Friday after having their mid-day meal at a government school in Bihar`s Rohtas district, officials said. The students are now out of danger.
The children complained of uneasiness after the meals at Katar Middle School, and were admitted at a hospital, a district official said.
"All the children are now safe," he said. "All of them, except two, were discharged after preliminary treatment at the hospital," he added.
Samples of the meal have been collected by police for forensic examination.
According to officials, some children said a lizard was found in the mid-day meal served to them, which claim "may be true or a rumour". However, the doctors who examined the children did not find any sign of poison in their bodies.
Last month, a lizard was found in the mid-day meal served in Sheohar district and a dead rat was found in the mid-day meal served to students of a primary school in Patna.
Last July, 23 children lost their lives after they consumed the mid-day meal cooked in contaminated oil at the government primary school in Dharmasati Gandawan village of Saran district.
The mid-day meal scheme is being run in 72,000 schools across Bihar to serve day meals to 16 million students so that they continue schooling.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know