40 students fall ill after mid-day meal in Bihar
Patna: At least 40 children fell ill Friday after having their mid-day meal at a government school in Bihar`s Rohtas district, officials said. The students are now out of danger.
The children complained of uneasiness after the meals at Katar Middle School, and were admitted at a hospital, a district official said.
"All the children are now safe," he said. "All of them, except two, were discharged after preliminary treatment at the hospital," he added.
Samples of the meal have been collected by police for forensic examination.
According to officials, some children said a lizard was found in the mid-day meal served to them, which claim "may be true or a rumour". However, the doctors who examined the children did not find any sign of poison in their bodies.
Last month, a lizard was found in the mid-day meal served in Sheohar district and a dead rat was found in the mid-day meal served to students of a primary school in Patna.
Last July, 23 children lost their lives after they consumed the mid-day meal cooked in contaminated oil at the government primary school in Dharmasati Gandawan village of Saran district.
The mid-day meal scheme is being run in 72,000 schools across Bihar to serve day meals to 16 million students so that they continue schooling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea