4,311 cases pending in Bihar SC/ST police stations
Patna: Even as the Nitish Kumar government
has laid thrust on justice for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled
Tribes, cases relating to atrocities on SC/ST are increasing
and a good number of them are pending in police stations.
``The cases are piling up because of the slow pace of
their disposal,`` officials claim.
According to official records available at the state
police headquarters here, 4311 cases lodged under SC/ST
Prevention of Atrocities Act, 1989 are still pending with
different SC/ST police stations up to May this year.
The then National SC/ST Commission chairman Buta Singh,
during his visit to Bihar on April 6, 2010, had expressed
serious concern over the growing number of cases of
atrocities, noting that hardly two per cent of them reach
While the number of cases of atrocities and repression
were reported to be 3,723 in 2008, it rose to 5,129 in 2009
but then declined to 3,551 in 2010.
State Additional Director-General of Police (Crime
Investigation Department) A S Nimbran said there are seven to
eight such districts where 50 per cent of cases of atrocities
are pending and these are normally the districts where very
less number of cases are registered every year.
Nimbran confided that there are 200 cases of atrocities
and repression being registered in Bihar every month.
There are 239, 196, 186, 180, 167, 141 and 121 cases
pending in the districts of Muzaffarpur, Saran, Begusarai,
Motihari, Gaya, Patna and Gopalganj districts, respectively,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming