54 school headmasters suspended in Bihar for misusing funds
Patna: A total of 54 headmasters of government-run primary and middle schools in Bihar have been suspended for misusing funds from the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) to build their own homes instead of constructing classrooms, officials said.
The suspended headmasters had been provided SSA funds amounting to Rs.5 crore to construct new classrooms and schools in Kaimur district, but they built new homes for themselves.
Kaimur District Magistrate Arvind Kumar Singh said he has ordered action against these headmasters following a review of the SSA, a central government project to provide quality education to children in government schools in rural areas.
"I have also ordered the initiation of departmental proceedings against the headmasters for their dismissal from service," Singh said.
According to district education department officials, the headmasters were told to construct 167 additional classrooms in their schools. Besides, funds was made available for four new schools.
During the project review, the district administration found irregularities in the use of funds, an official said.
Singh said the suspended headmasters now face cases for recovery of the amount of grant with interest under the provisions of the Public Demand Recovery Act.
He said the headmasters may face dismissal if the work is not completed within two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore