63% votes cast in 10th phase of Bihar panchayat polls
Patna: An estimated 63 per cent votes
were polled on Wednesday in the tenth phase of panchayat elections in
30 blocks of 21 districts in Bihar which passed off peacefully
There was no untoward incident from anywhere in the
state during the polls which were held for 15767 posts with
about 30 lakh voters exercising their franchise, Bihar
Election Commissioner J K Dutta said.
Polling for the three tier panchayat bodies is being
held in 12 phases and results would be declared on May 24.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters)
Rajyavardhan Sharma said 358 persons were arrested for
poll-related offences, besides Rs 80,937,27 mobile phones, 50
vehicles and five ammunitions seized during preventive actions
A mukhiya candidate from Madhaura panchayat in Saran
district was arrested along with cash of Rs 9210 and a mobile
phone for trying to disrupt the poll process, he said adding
two other mukhiya contestants and a zila parishad woman
candidate were also arrested in the district on similar
A mukhiya candidate from Dariyapur panchayat in Munger
district was arrested with cash of Rs 10,307, while two others
were booked in Siwan district for trying to disrupt polling,
the ADG said.
Yet another mukhiya candidate from Naruar panchayat in
Madhubani district was arrested on charges of indulging in
electoral malpractice and an amount of Rs 33000 was seized
from him, Sharma said.
In another incident security forces dispersed a group of
miscreants from a polling premises under Mahuama panchyat in
Gaya district and restored road traffic on the highway
blocked by locals, he said.
A poll official was removed from duty at the booth in
Dumra panchayat in Sitamarhi district on charges of
deriliction of duty, Sharma said.
In Munger district, the securitymen foiled an attempt to
disrupt polling at Kharagpur panchayat by trying to deface
ballot papers with ink, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters